Invitation Date: June 1st
Submission Deadline: July 14th
Entry fee: There is no entry fee.
Artist Eligibility: Residents of Pennsylvania ages 18 and up are eligible for this contest.
Artwork Theme: The theme of this year’s bonfire is Irish and Welsh Immigrant Heritage. The poster should incorporate this theme as well. Irish and Welsh heritage runs deep in Northeastern Pennsylvania due to our rich coal and iron history. Through hard work and determination, the immigrants to this area made a home for themselves and their families, many of whom are still in the area today. Entries should consider the legacy of the Irish and Welsh working class as well as the importance of home, family, and faith to the Irish and Welsh community.
Artwork Design Requirements and Entry Rules:
- Design must be 2D and can be in any media including but not limited to: paint, pen/ink, marker, pencil, etc. No photographs will be accepted.
- Entry dimensions must be 14” x12” and must be matted.
- Completed entry tag must be applied to the back of the entry.
- Limit one piece of original work per artist.
- The artist may include a title for their work, however a title is not required.
- Winning piece will be scanned and the digital image will be reproduced/printed as the official 2017 poster for the Bonfire at the Iron Furnaces. Please note that writing will be placed over the image so keep that in mind while designing. Image must have enough definition/clarity to be scanned and reproduced.
- All artwork must be submitted to the Anthracite Heritage Museum at 22 Bald Mountain Road Scranton PA 18504 between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM or via mail prior to the July 14th deadline.
- Image must be family friendly. The Bonfire at the Iron Furnaces Committee reserves the right to disqualify an entry if it is determined to be inappropriate. Artist will be notified of disqualification if same occurs.
Selection of Artwork: Selection of the winning piece will take place on Thursday, July 27th during the annual Stoke the Fire event at the Radisson. Each attendee of the event will be given one ballot to vote for their favorite poster with additional ballots available for purchase. The artwork with the most votes will be declared the winner.
Temporary Art Display: The winning artwork will be displayed on First Friday August 8th at a venue TBD. All artists and the public are invited to attend the event.
Permanent Art Display: The winning artwork will be displayed in the Anthracite Heritage Museum on a permanent basis.
Poster Usage: The winning artwork will become the background for the 2017 Bonfire at the Iron Furnaces advertisements. Artist’s name will also appear on the poster.
Contact Information: For questions or concerns, please contact Kristen Shipsky, Secretary of the Anthracite Heritage Museum Board of Directors and co-chair of the 2017 Bonfire at the Iron Furnaces, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A completed tag must be attached to the back of each entry.